Project SILPA workout
Santhosh Thottingal is a free software developer working on indic language computing projects. He is project admin or Swathanthra Malayalam Computing. He is openoffice native language computing consortium indic region coordinator. He won FOSS India award 2008 for a text to speech system developed for Indian languages named dhvani(http://dhvani.sourceforge.net). He works on many indic language computing projects and he is upstream author for more than 10 packages in Fedora. He also does research on algorithms for indic language processing. He is the designer and lead developer of project SILPA(http://smc.org.in/silpa). In weekdays he works in technical architecture team of a leading IT service company in India.
Silpa, Swathanthra Indian Language Processing Applications is a web platform to host the free(dom) software language processing applications easily. It is a web framework and a set of applications for processing Indian Languages in many ways. Or in other words, it is a platform for porting existing and upcoming language processing applications to the web. Silpa can also be used as a python library or by RPC calls from other applications.
- To review the current architecture- a) RPC handling b)JSON Ajax request handling c)python library handling - Status - Baiju reviewed the architecture
- To fix the bugs on language processing for languages other than Malayalam. Some modules does not support a few languages, adding support to them with the help of native speakers - Status : A few bugs were reported and fixed. especially for kannada
- Installer preparation based on buildout or setup tools - Status -to be done
- Testsuite - Status Prepared for a few modules.
- How to write a new module demo for interested developers - Status - Did a code walkthrough for a couple of people and explained the technical details
Above average knowledge on python programming, webprogramming using python(optional), Natural langauge processing with Indian languages(Optional)
Links to overall design/architecture and other documentation
Getting in touch
- santhosh in #smc-project, #indlinux @ freenode.net
- Mail 'santhosh dot thottingal at gmail dot com
- Santhosh Thottingal
- Baiju M