Improving Free Software based GSM protocol analysis
2008-11-26: We're in the BOF TENT BX, from 12:30 onwards till 18:00
2008-11-27: We'll meet in the BOF TENT BX, from 10:30 onwards till 18:00
There are a number of different FOSS tools that help with GSM protocol analysis, but their status is not very oood. They don't receive regular maintenance, don't build with current toolchains, don't work with current gnuradio-3.1.x releases, provide patches against ancient wireshark versions, etc.
The idea is to get some people involved to fixing all those issues, make the tools much more useable and complete.
Languages, tools to be known
One or more of the following
- GSM protocols
- signal processing
Some background on GSM
Getting and compiling the code
All the source is collected at FOSS.in at: http://192.168.44.119/gsm/
- you should have a working gnuradio-3.1.3 installation on your system (please don't use gnuradio svn trunk, unless you want to work on fixing all the buidl bugs of gssm/gsm-tvoid/... with it)
- sources are available at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.1.3.tar.gz
gsm related gnuradio code bits
- We've set up a git repository for all our code, please check it out
- 'git clone git://git.openezx.org/gsm.git'
- please mail your ssh public key to email@example.com if you want write access
- please send patches otherwise.
captured GSM signals
- TO BE DONE
- we want to port the GSM decoder plugin to current mainline wireshark
- please get it from 'svn co http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/ wireshark'
Links to overall design/architecture
Can document this here and/or add some links to Bugzilla, ML threads, other wiki pages
- make sure gsm-tvoid, gssm and gsmsp build+work on current systems and gnuradio-3.1.3
- port wireshark plugin to current wireshark upstream version
- improve wireshark decoding (add more protocol fields/options/...)
- obtain A5/0 traces, if India really has widespread A5/0 adoption
- Make Tvoid's implementation compatible for the TUN device for wireshark (Rakesh Peter)
- Integrating the Viterbi decoder (Rakesh Peter)
Getting in touch
- We have a mailing list specifically for the FOSS.in 2008 GSM WorkOut
- post to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The THC gsm mailing list
- subscribe at email@example.com
- Harald Welte
- Rakesh Peter